Dependable Erection

Friday, May 16, 2008

Cleveland-Holloway

Speaking of Kevin, he damn near hit a grand slam in his response to the Indy cover story on "gentrification" in the Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood.

The only thing missing, in my mind, is a real indictment of the true culprits here, which are the landlords who own the 90% of the homes in C-H that are rentals and who, to a large extent, refuse to reinvest their rental incomes into properly maintaining their homes. The rents they charge are more than adequate to allow for reasonable maintenance of their properties. On the other hand, Mosi Secret barely touched on the topic of slumlords. Which really detracted from the power of his article.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Don't get me started about slumlords in this town--or in my neighborhood, Northgate Park.

    Rents are good here. The landlords make not only a fair profit, they make a very good one. One reason they can charge such rents is because people like me, plus a few of the other, better landlords keep up our property and add value.

    Unfortunately, the slumlords here feel no compulsion to paint their peeling buildings, plant any grass, or do any repairs at all.

    Ah, the Indy. Check this out:

    I glanced at Mosi's article. It conjures up fresh servings of liberal guilt at "displacing" poor people from gentrification? Don't get me wrong--I think poverty is wrong in this country. But I guess it's okay for Forest Hills and Watts-Hillandale (where the publishers live) to remain "nice" neighborhoods, but it's not okay for the rest of us to better our circumstances? Give me a break. I am tired of being lectured to by my self-appointed political and socio-economic betters.

    This is why blogging is so important in Durham, to offer some real alternatives to wood pulp industries like The Indy.

    By Blogger Tony, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home