Dependable Erection

Monday, June 04, 2007

The march of technology

This may not interest anyone but me, but i wanted to note it.

I stopped in Costco over the weekend. Walking through the technology section at the front of the store, i saw a 1 Terabyte hard drive on display. The cost was, if i recall, $350 or so.

Now, i realize that my story about buying a 500 MB drive in 1991 for $1100 is getting a little long in the tooth. But just 5 years ago i spec'd out a 750 GB RAID tower to hang on an image server at work. The cost was around $35,000. Granted, there's all kinds of redundancies built into the controller, striping data across 10 drives takes some processing power, and FibreChannel's not cheap, yadda yadda yadda, but still.

More storage capacity (by 30%) at 1% of the cost? In 5 years?

I can't keep up.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Recounting high tech prices is indeed a sign of age. Interesting how our parents used to refer to how cheap things were ("I remember when you could buy a coke for a nickle") while I tell stories of expensive products ("I was so excited when ram dipped under $40/mb that I bought 4 mb!")

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 AM  

  • Ummm, i remember when you could buy a coke for a nickel.

    By Blogger Barry, at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home