Dependable Erection

Monday, June 09, 2008

Enough

Samiha Khanna and Matt Dees are reporting in the N&O today that the revised budget Patrick Baker is presenting to City Council cuts "about $700,000 from $2.1 million initially slated for a comprehensive curbside garbage collection program that would have included yard waste pick-up. It would keep the $60 per year yard waste collection fee, paid only by people who want the service, adding back another $1.1 million into the proposed budget."

I'm paid up through September with my yard waste fees. I'm going to be keeping my sixty bucks and putting it towards a chipper, so i won't be needing the yard waste service any more.

Current figures show that about 18,000 Durham households participate in the yard waste program. When that number drops to 12,000, and all those leaves fall in the streets in November and December, maybe Bill Bell can figure out a way to keep them out of the storm drains and creeks by then. Maybe then the city will realize this isn't service for only the people who want it, but, like recycling and trash pickup, a necessity to keep our city clean, and our landfill managed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • I'm not paid up on my yard waste fees, but they still empty my containers nonetheless.

    By Blogger Lisa B., at 2:24 PM  

  • Ha! - I am paid up, and my container has been sitting by the curb filled for the past two weeks.

    By Blogger Barry, at 2:55 PM  

  • i've tried to get a container for a month to no avail.

    By Blogger Natalie, at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home