Dependable Erection

Thursday, April 10, 2008

50,000

My own experience of crime in Durham has been that it's decidedly safer than Sacramento or Stockton California, where i spent seven years before moving here in 1993, and had my cars broken into on an annual basis (including once at my daughter's grade school parking lot, and once in a Target parking lot) and my house broken into twice. That said, this really is an astounding piece of information:
Pledges to reform long-standing ills of the criminal justice system in the wake of recent high-profile homicides continued Tuesday, with city and county leaders resolving to make a dent in Durham County's 50,000 unserved arrest warrants.

"We've still been engaged in dynamic inaction on this issue," council member Eugene Brown, who has tried for years to bring attention to the problem, said Tuesday at a joint meeting of city and county elected officials.

"Serving warrants is part of the front line of fighting crime, and we've done a ... lousy job of it."

But Step 1 likely will involve letting thousands off the hook, not making more arrests: Old, low-level misdemeanors will be "purged" from the system altogether.

I once heard that crime doesn't pay. Maybe i was dreaming.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • I have no problem suggesting property crime is the "gateway drug" to more serious criminal acts.

    This town sucks at trying to reign in robberies and such.

    By Blogger Tony, at 8:26 PM  

  • But to give credit where credit is due, they did immediately find Moezeldin Elmostafa and arrest him on a three-year-old misdemeanor warrant. I guess it all depends on priorities.

    By Blogger Locomotive Breath, at 10:28 PM  

  • Memo to DPD - cancel the APB on Locomotive Breath. She's been found.

    By Blogger Barry, at 10:40 PM  

  • And people wonder why little things like speed limits, housing codes, and noise ordinances don't get enforced. Who has time for those when there are 50k warrants out for criminal offenses?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

  • This is very disturbing. One thing that I was wondering is if the 50,000 warrants are for 50,000 different people, or can a single individual have multiple warrants out for their arrest? Either way, the number is staggering.

    Unfortunately, purging the older warrants for "lesser" crimes will need to be done in order to be able to focus on the more serious and recent offenders.

    The longer I live in Durham (going on three years now) the more I love it, but also the more that I begin to agree with a bumper sticker that I saw a year or more ago. It had the slogan "Durham, City of Medicine" but "Medicine" was crossed out and "Crime" was written below it in big red letters.

    While we haven't been the victim of violent crime, we've been the victim of quite a lot of property crime - so much that I'm going to install surveillance cameras on our house. It's sad, but having experienced more property crime in three years in Durham than in the entire rest of my life is pretty sad.

    I'm still hopeful that Chief Lopez can make effective changes to the DPD to address these problems. He's still fresh in the position so I'm willing to give him some more time, but eventually I'll need to start to see substantial efforts to cut down on the crime in our neighborhoods. And that includes speeding through our neighborhoods at 2x and yes even 3x the posted speed limit.

    By Blogger Steve Graff, at 10:19 AM  

  • Given that there are around 220,000 people in Durham, i have to assume that a number of people have multiple warrants.

    By Blogger Barry, at 10:33 AM  

  • Aha. I *thought* I'd been seeing an unusual number of black & whites around town...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home