Dependable Erection

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I like Mike!

Go Mike!
A thunder of applause filled Cherry Street Park as Mike Huckabee addressed the crowd. "He is a strong conservative and he is a strong Christian and that appeals to me," said Billie Dandy.

"I like Mike Huckabee because he is for fair tax, pro-life, and a second amendment supporter," said Richard Wallace.

And the issue that drew the most support was fair tax. "Mike is a true conservative, and he is for fair tax. He is truly for fair tax," said Herb Whitson.

"As a small business owner, I believe in fair tax because it won't take all of my money," said Dandy.

Signs never stopped waving through out Huckabee's 20 minute speech.

"I believe that Huckabee is the most conservative, and he can appeal to the people. He is so personable. I believe that he can reach across party lines and get things done," said Michael Lane.
Photo yoinked without permission from the Washington Note
Huckabee wins Georgia, Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri too close to call.
Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee said Tuesday he would press on with his White House candidacy, emboldened by wins in the South.

"The one way you can't win a race is to quit it, and until somebody beats me, I'm going to answer the bell for every round of this fight," the former Arkansas governor said in an AP interview from Little Rock.

Huckabee beat rivals John McCain and Mitt Romney in West Virginia, Alabama, Georgia and his home state, and early returns showed him leading in a few more Super Tuesday states. He said he would emerge from the virtual national primary contests as the alternative to McCain, the Arizona senator and Republican front-runner.


Couldn't ask for better news.

UPDATE
: From the limited reading i've been able to do this morning, it seems to me that Huck's victories are being downplayed as "confined to the South," and that what he's really doing is running to be McCain's vice-president. I guess as long as Romney stays in the race, then Huck and the Maverick can tag team him, but if he drops out, then we'll find out what the Huckster is really made of.

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • He's a Folksy Fascist.

    It's a like a Compassionate Conservative, but with a guitar.

    By Blogger Durham Bull Pen, at 1:13 AM  

  • Man that is a tough call for me. Vote for a religious nut candidate due to his support of the fair tax. I think I will continue to moan and complain about the current tax system.

    I have read the fair tax book and find it to be the best tax system to date. As a small business owner and as an individual with various investments the amount of time and money spent on tax paper work is not necessary.

    If you have not read the fair tax book it is a must read. And before you go off about it will hurt the poor and lessen the taxes for the rich you may want to read the book. You are completely wrong. Do you really think the rich are not avoiding taxes as much as possible now?

    I have no problem with paying more taxes as my income increases. Paying my taxes is the fair and moral thing to do. It is the amount of damn time and money spent on finding out just exactly how much I do owe.

    One of my biggest reasons for supporting the Fair Tax is that it punishes people for spending money on unnecessary expenditures (this is were a lot of people are misinformed regarding the fair tax. You are not taxed on necessities.) and reward them for saving. As an individual that finds it hard, or has a mental disorder, to spend my hard earn money on hobbies or things I really do not need. Why should I be punished for investing my money.

    Also, the fair tax helps eliminate big money influence in Washington which is a good thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 AM  

  • There's an old generalization about Republicans being conservative about spending public money, and Democrats being liberal about what they'll spend public money on. It wasn't a very good generalization before. But starting with Reagan, it's been horrible, with record deficits under Republican presidents.

    I don't think there's any reason to believe promises of fiscal conservatism from Huckabee, or any other Religious Right candidate. I might believe it from a non-religious candidate from the right or left, or I might not.

    I don't have the right software on this computer, but I think there's plenty of room on Huckabee's bass for a sticker saying "This machine makes fascists".

    By Blogger Joseph H. Vilas, at 10:06 AM  

  • BTW Barry, you gonna donate to Huckabee?

    By Blogger Joseph H. Vilas, at 10:08 AM  

  • I think i'm gonna max out.

    What do you think about all this bullshit in the press that Huck's running to be McCain's veep?

    Do you really think that the evangelicals who won't vote for McCain will vote for him if Huck's on the ticket? You think they'll be praying for the old fart to kick off right after inauguration?

    By Blogger Barry, at 10:19 AM  

  • McCain/Huckabee would be one of the more bald-faced attempts to buy off a disaffected wing of a party with a VP nomination. But probably not the worst. And if the last few years have shown us anything it's that McCain is willing to sell out pretty much any belief in order to get elected.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

  • Maybe Huckabee will run as an "independent." I'm sure the left in this country would love to see Huckabee do to the R.P. what George Wallace did to the D.P. in 1968. And, like in 1968, pandering to racism really ought to help here, especially with Obama on the ballot (to say nothing of an Obama/Clinton combination: that'd be something for everyone to focus their hate on).

    I think I'll start a Stupid Party: finance and run it, and get some candidates on ballots, then secretly vote against my own candidates every time. I have no hope of being included in a party I like, so why not start my own, even if it just serves the purpose of focusing my ire? Naaahhh, that'd just be stupid. :)

    By Blogger Joseph H. Vilas, at 12:43 PM  

  • With Romney out, hopefully Huck will gain more "Conservative" votes. I like Huck because of his revolutionary ideas, such as the fair tax. The Fair Tax is such a great system. It makes so much sense for America at this point in our history; increasing productivity, encouraging moving up in the income brackets, and making taxes simpler for all. I found a great petition telling Congress to look into the fair tax, and, as we gain more signatures, money is donated to the fair tax cause.
    http://www.petitionearth.com/viewpetition.php?id=64
    We need to tell America to make this important change. We need to speak out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • Right - because the only reason more of us aren't in higher income brackets is that the tax system discourages us from moving up.

    Why didn't i think of that earlier?

    By Blogger Barry, at 1:34 PM  

  • Thanks Barry for your.....well not sure what your point was. Do you support the fair tax or not?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home