School access fail
Leon Street, in front of Brogden Middle School, 5 pm Monday.
From city of Durham press release prior to winter storm, 1/29/10:
The City’s plan of action for clearing or reducing hazards on city streets is prioritized in the following order:
• Bridges and overpasses throughout the city.
• Major arterial streets within the city.
• Streets to essential health facilities, police and fire stations and critical community facilities.
• Routes to two City fuel sites.
• Streets within the central business district.
• Clear access to Durham Public Schools.
• All residential areas with priority initially to passage of emergency vehicles and then to all traffic.
As a friend noted, if we get any kind of weather the rest of the week, it'll be next Tuesday before the schools open. My understanding of DPS policy is if there's any ice on a road that has to be traveled by a school bus, all schools are closed.
I couldn't imagine being a working parent with a job that didn't pay me for my time off this week. Even with paid time off, having to use your vacation or sick leave in the middle of winter just to watch your kids because the schools aren't open would truly suck.