Dependable Erection

Saturday, September 06, 2008

What happened to the new guy?

Kevin's got a post up earlier today with some informed speculation about "Guy," the new Durham blogger who showed up earlier this week with some "insider" information about city and county government. And shortly after Kevin's post went up, showing some strong evidence that "Guy" was none other than Durham County Manager Mike Ruffin, "Guy's" blog disappeared. It wasn't up long enough for Google to have cached any of the pages, at least that i can find, and the Wayback Machine doesn't show any of them either. By the time i got around to grabbing some screen shots earlier today, it was too late.

I did, however, quote some text from "Guy's" first post the other day, which i'll reprint again here, emphasis added:
If you read my posts regularly, you will soon learn that I am no stranger to Durham politics, or the inner circle in Durham that runs our city and county. Having said that, I am also not a cynic, something that I have to say I see all too frequently in other Durham blogs. I don't always agree with decisions that our leaders make, or how they make them, but many times, because I am on the inside, I see another side that helps to explain why a decision was made.

So, the non-cynical "Guy" uses his insider information to puff himself up and trash the reputation of someone he doesn't like, while hiding behind a facade of anonymity. And he's not even smart enough to cover his tracks.

Exhibit A for why some of us are "frequently cynical."

UPDATE: To be fair, Kevin stops short of saying that "Guy" is in fact Mike Ruffin, and leaves open the possibility that a third party is deliberately creating the impression that's the case. I'm a firm believer in Occam's Razor myself. Since the speculation and the evidence is out in public, and the website was taken down within hours, if not minutes, of its publication, that "Guy" is Ruffin is the simplest explanation. Were it a third party with an agenda of embarrassing the manager, why take the site down?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I also wonder if perhaps it was a staffer working at Mr. Ruffin's behest. Not that that is much better.

    But yes, the fact that the page has disappeared down the memory hole is rather damning, isn't it?

    Great to meet you in person yesterday, BTW.

    By Blogger Brian, at 8:11 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 PM  

  • Priceless. Guess that sinks the chances of getting Mike Ruffin on "Shooting the Bull" now, huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 PM  

  • Good thing I hadn't gotten around to adding him to my links sidebar yet ...

    By Blogger Lisa B., at 6:15 AM  

  • Valerie - awesome, thanks.

    By Blogger Barry, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home