Dependable Erection

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Water bill

It's been a while, but we finally got a water bill today. Our last bill covered from September 16 through November 16, or the introduction of Stage III restrictions. We used 11 units in that 60 day period, or about 45 gallons per person per day in our 3 person household. I still had some vgetables in the ground then, and Saturday watering with the drip system was still OK.

The new bill covered the period from November 16 through January 25, with Stage IV restrictions in effect most of that time. We used 8 units over a 70 day period this billing cycle, or 28.5 gallons per person per day. Given that usage is rounded down to the nearest unit, our actual usage could have been as high as 32 gallons per person per day. I suspect that having a teenager increases our per person average, but i could be wrong. I suppose we'll find out over the summer, unless we get enough rain to lift our outdoor watering restrictions. I hope so. I'd really like to grow some tomatoes this year.

What have you gotten your water consumption down to?

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • You know, I had never really looked at my bill.

    From 10/26 to 12/28 (63 days), my bill shows 9 under "consumption." This is with a three-person household, but the youngest is 3. Looks like you're doing very well.

    My wife did switch to my shower stall recently, which has low-flow faucet, so we'll see what that does.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • Best part is that the water component of the bill is 12 bucks. The various service charges, sewer charges and stormwater charges bring it up to 60 bucks.

    By Blogger Barry, at 12:24 PM  

  • The missus and I are down to 26. I'm determined to get under 25 and would like to hit 20. So the bucket's finally going into the shower! I have to 'fess up that I haven't done that yet.

    Mike Woodard

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

  • Unfortunately, I slid backwards this month. My bill showed 4 units from July to September, which was ~50 gallons/day (one person household), then I improved drastically from September to November (2 units, ~25 gallons/day.) Now I'm back up to 3 units from November to January (~37 gallons/day). I don't know if it's the rounding factor that made a difference where I was pushed over the edge for this reading, because my habits haven't changed any. I did hire some cleaners in December and it's possible they used a lot of water during their cleaning, but that's the only thing I can think of. I guess I should start reading my own meter to get a closer idea of my usage.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

  • Actually, since it was a 70 day reading period, my usage was probably closer to 32 gallons/day, which is slightly better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

  • And the discrepancy is almost certainly a result of rounding error. In fact, your usage could have gone down in the most recent period. Let's say your usage was was 2.8 units Sept/November. You would have been billed for 2 units. If your usage was 2.4 units in Nov/January, you'd be billed for 3 units as a result of the carryover from the previous period.

    Hopefully the new system to be implemented in the summer will eliminate some of these problems.

    By Blogger Barry, at 1:39 PM  

  • We used 42 gallons per person per day on the last bill. We have since replaced a leaky faucet so hope to have that under 40 gallons this time around.

    We too have not yet put the bucket in the shower but have come to the decision we should purchase one from the despot this weekend.

    What happens though if you collect more water in the bucket than you use for toilet flushing and watering pet though? We have a HE washer so can't use it there...

    By Blogger Natalie, at 3:27 PM  

  • Natalie&Harris-
    If you collect more water in the bucket than you need to flush toilets, TAKE SHORTER SHOWERS!

    We have had a bucket in our shower since November. We use it to flush toilets (and we don't flush every time we go). We also put a bucket in our kitchen sink to catch water while washing vegetables, hands and dishes to flush toilets.

    Our bill was down to 25 gallons per person, but went up a little over the holidays when we had more visitors.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home