Dependable Erection

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Beer + Food = Good

Mrs D and i were fortunate enough to indulge ourselves last night in JuJuBe's 6 course paired beer dinner. While i'm generally content to leave food blogging to the experts, i didn't notice any of them in attendance.

The set up was a long row of tables for two, some pushed together to make four places, some not, and a round table off to the side that sat 8 people; so 26 people all together. I kinda like the round table idea better because you'd get to converse with more than just your immediate table mates (we didn't know anybody else there.) But as we were seated with James, the beer host for the evening, we got lots of inside information. There were a couple of other fans of Sam's Blue Light in attendance as well.

for the most part, the pairings worked very well, especially the mussels and the Golden Ale, the won ton and the Abbey Dubbel, and the dessert course, which was great. Minor quibbles - the aioli was a bit too salty for my taste (garlic would have been just fine; mussels and garlic go together like Lemmon and Matthau); the Grand Cru is a very sour, cherry infused ale that i think overpowered the more delicate flavors in the pork loin. I wouldn't mind trying it again with some baby back ribs that brought a little more smoke and sweetness to the table.

But as i say, those are minor quibbles. The fennel mussels were exceptional, and virtually everything else was great. I've been urged on numerous occasions to check out JuJuBe; now that i have i'm hoping to save up for a return trip for one of Charlie's Tuesday night chef's tables.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Mussels and fennel are an incredible combo. I found a recipe a while back using Duvel. Maybe when I'm down at Cedar Island later this month...

    By Blogger DurhamFood, at 6:06 PM  

  • Mussels and garlic and drawn butter are my all time favorite. i don't think they can be improved upon, although i'm always willing to sample someone else's efforts.

    when i was in grad school, we could walk to the shore and dig as many as we could eat, and if we were too lazy to do that, we could buy them at 5 lbs. for a dollar.

    good times . . .

    By Blogger Barry, at 6:40 PM  

  • The Grand Cru was tasted like balsamic vinegar mixed with club soda. Bleah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • Would that I could have gone. :(

    By Blogger Joe, at 3:49 PM  

  • Mrs D -

    In my humble opinion, Rodenbach Grand Cru requires three tastes before one can assess it fully.

    The first time you'll notice how it takes like ass.

    The second time you'll notice how it tastes like ass.

    The third time you'll think it tastes remarkably like ass. Or you'll end up loving it. And getting weird cravings for it.

    Guess it's obvious where I ended up in my third round. (Please no jokes about how I enjoy the taste of ass.)

    Cheers!
    Sean

    By Blogger Sean Lilly Wilson, at 10:26 PM  

  • I love sour ales! The Grand Cru is awesome!

    I first had it on tap at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Loved it then and love it now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 AM  

  • I'm on taste 10 or so and I still think I'm in Mrs. D's camp in terms of Sour Ales. I included it only because I thought it needed to be in there. I have to agree with everyone that the pairing was the weakest of the bunch. Last time I did a richer duck confit dish with it and used a black vinegar sauce. That worked better. I was hoping that the pickled mushrooms would provide a nice muse to the ale and perhaps they did. My quibble, along with, it seems, everyone else's was the pork was too mild to stand up to the beer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home