Dependable Erection

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Honeydew

Buying melons is always a crap shoot. My techniques, the thump and the sniff, are trustworthy but not completely reliable.

That said, i've picked up three near perfect honeydews in a row the past week that are among the best i've ever eaten. One of my favorite flavors ever, and one of my grandmother's few indulgences when i would spend a summer week or so with her in her Bronx walkup as a small boy. Hot streets, transistor radio playing the WMCA Good Guys, and cool chunks of pale green melon.

Even better than Mr. Softee.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • MR SOFTEE!!! I cant tell you how many times I chased that damned truck down my block in Woodside. Me and a dozen other ragamuffins screaming for him.

    that reminds me, i've been captivated by the memory of Fudgie the whale and cookie puss (cookie o' puss even) as of late....ahhhh

    By Blogger Vera, at 12:14 PM  

  • Cookie Puss has never been the same since the Beastie Boys had their way with him back in '82 or so.

    but be careful not to mix up Carvel and Mr. Softee.

    By Blogger Barry, at 12:18 PM  

  • Oh, I'm not mixing them up by any stretch...its that these near-visceral memories of Mr Softee, the carvel franchise run out of Walter's Bakery on Roosevelt Ave, and The dark bricked pizza hole my dad and I used to spend our saturdays in are key points in my memories of childhood in Woodside queens.

    I'll add to that the Granizado (shaved ice) guy that always stood outside of our church in Williamsburg whenever the service let out, ready for all of us to descend upon his sticky sweet jewel colored bottles of syrup and his massive block of ice, scrapey scoop thing and paper cones...


    thanks for allowing me the opportunity spiral on in my memories...LOL

    By Blogger Vera, at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home