Dependable Erection

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Aging

One of the projects i started back in the dawn of time (OK, early 2001) was digitizing all of the vinyl and cassette tapes i've acquired over the years, probably about a thousand titles. I got about 40 or 50% of the way through but suddenly, as Kevin Nealon once remarked on SNL, i lost interest. I got distracted. I had a flat tire.

Or something.

I started back up again last month, armed with some vintage audio gear.

It's not the fact that the music i listened to in high school is now 40 years old. I'm kinda used to that.

It's that the music i listened to as an adult is now 30 years old, or more. I remember dropping the needle on Steve Forbert's first album shortly after it came out. I was blown away that this kid from Mississippi could essentially get on a Greyhound to New York with nothing but a denim jacket and a guitar and some songs, and turn it into this record. I don't think i'd listened to it in over a decade, but i still knew all the words. (I didn't know then that he was actually 2 years older than me. He looked 16.) So i spent last night editing vinyl pops and fiddling with EQ settings so that the digital rip of Alive on Arrival would sound right, and i couldn't get it out of my head that it was 30 years ago.

As i've said before, that time passed in the blink of an eye, even with raising kids and all.

The last eight years? Not so much.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Do take a look at outside digitizing services (like my own: Reclaim Media)

    We've applied automation to a process before only done on an artisanal basis. Our quality is great, our prices are low and our turnaround is quick.

    Some nifty pluses for LPs include pre-play cleaning for dust and dirt, pop and click filtering, and megapixel album art!

    And also take a look at what digitizing records costs you in terms of time and multiply that by whatever you feel your free time is worth. Compare that to what we cost and we might even be cheaper as well.

    Thank you,
    --Craig Meyer
    Founder
    Reclaim Media

    By Blogger Craig R. Meyer, at 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home