Dependable Erection

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Memo to Police Chief Lopez

You really must read this article.
Chicago this year joined a growing number of big cities and small towns that are sending officers into traffic to make motorists pay more attention to pedestrians.

"People, they don't care," said Delgado, whose bright pink baseball hat and orange blouse made her especially tough to miss. "It's 'Get out of my way.' The whole mentality is 'Get out of my way.'"

With Delgado's help, police stopped 78 vehicles in just two hours and told them they'd violated a law that's been on the books for years. That number easily could have been doubled, but officers stopped only drivers who kept moving after Delgado had walked four or five feet into the road.


For what it's worth, you can see Chicago's crime stats here. You can download a pdf of Durham's crime stats here. I'll leave comparing the two as an exercise for the reader.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Thank you, Barry. This is great.

    And, taking this approach in Durham wouldn't cost a lot of money.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:25 PM  

  • And if they bring along a radar gun they can write tickets for two violations. (Yes, I'm dreaming...)

    By Blogger Steve Graff, at 6:55 PM  

  • It's really past time that folks from the in-town neighborhoods organized an effort to push for an uncivil driving crackdown.

    I'd do it, but I have this grocery store thing on my hands at the moment. If someone else organizes it, I'll show up at meetings and speak at city hall. Hell, I'll even write long treatises showing how it's good order maintenance policing. (Wait, I've been doing that anyway...)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home