Dependable Erection

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Euro 2008

I doubt that she wrote the headline which accompanies the piece, but even if she did, there's no denying that novelist AS Byatt understands why a billion or so people will be watching today's final between Spain and Germany for the title of champion of European football:
I watch a lot of sport on television. I only watch certain sports, and I only watch them live - I don't think I've ever been able to watch a replay of a match or game of which the result was already decided. I feel bound to cheat and look up what can be looked up. I watch for aesthetic reasons. Some are to do with real dramatic tension. There is a story, and the end is really unknown until it comes. I have worked out that I also watch as though I was watching a kinetic sculpture or abstract light show. The things I watch are all contained in quadrilaterals, concern the movement of round balls, and the shifting lines of force and energy made by the players' movements.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home