Dependable Erection

Monday, April 14, 2008

Tone deafness

Michael's got details about a pretty insensitive PR move at the Durham Bulls game this weekend. I missed this, i'm guessing, due to a technical difficulty which prevented the clip in question from being shown Friday night:
But more troubling was one of those silly video spots they put on in between innings, this one featuring the Bulls' head groundskeeper giving tips on how to have a good lawn. What was the crux of his advice on this one? (I'm not making this up.)

Water your lawn. A lot. 2-3 times a week, give it a good healthy soaking. When in doubt, use more water. The man even ended the clip with this priceless nugget:

"Remember, no water means no grass!"

Sitting in the stands, I kept feeling like I needed to check my ears to make sure I was hearing things. Was the image-obsessed Jim Goodmon's baseball team REALLY that tone deaf?

Here's a tip for the Bulls -- don't run that clip any more, and get Mr. Water-a-lot to shoot a video about xeriscaping for you.

I'm making progress in my quest to rid my yard of lawn. I'm about 75% done. Maybe sometime this spring i'll post some photos. I'm not claiming by any stretch to have created a water-free xeriscape. Half my front yard is vegetable garden, and that does take some water. But i should be able to toss the mower completely by this summer.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I got rid of the grass a few years ago, except for a tiny patch that the weedeater can get, and that will go as soon as I can figure out what can replace it. Don't miss it. I hated the gas fumes from the mower & hubby hated the push mower. Now everyone is happy :-)

    EllenD

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home