Dependable Erection

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Meta-blogging

Kevin asks:
I'm curious for feedback on what folks might like to see as expanded (or reduced) topics for coverage at BCR, especially as the number of readers grow. Are there things happening in Durham you'd like to read about here... or things you'd never want to see covered again?


Which gets me to thinking. As i commented on his blog:
i'm not sure that i'd like to see you alter your vision by taking audience requests. one of the things about blogs that works best (IMO) is the presentation of individual perspective.

your choices about what to cover, and how to cover it, are what you bring to the table, as are Gary's, Michael's, Pam's, even Blazer Manpurse's.

do any of us, singly or even in the greater whole, present a complete picture of Durham? of course not. but i don't think it's our responsibility or obligation to do that.


To which we can add Christa, Phillip, Lisa B, David, Joe, and everyone else in this town who bangs on a keyboard occasionally.

I started writing this blog almost a year and a half ago, mostly as an experiment to see if there were enough things in my daily life that were worth taking note of. It is, mostly, a communication between my past self and my future self about what caught my eye on, say, April 25 2007, I'm flattered that anyone finds my observations worth reading, and astounded when they draw a comment.

But that doesn't mean that every thought that crosses my head gets written down. Some days, like today, i'm just too busy at work to log into the blogger tab and write about the DDI presentation i saw last night at an InterNeighborhood Council meeting. Or the Streuver Brothers presentation i went to a few weeks ago about the old ballpark. (Great plan, by the way. I hope they can make it work.) My internal debate about whether it's worth the extra 60 bucks to go the Stephen Wright pre-concert party and meet the deadpan man himself. (It is a fundraiser for the Carolina Theater.)

And of course, there are controversial news stories about which i most definitely have an opinion, but realize that blogging, with it's immediacy, may not provide the reflective time i need to say clearly what it is that i'm thinking.

which is a long way to say that while i appreciate you coming here to read my occasionally coherent text, and i love to converse with you (even those of you with whom i vehemently disagree), what's going to appear on this page is simply a reflection of what's catching my eye at this particular point in time, nothing more, nothing less. I can only hope that's good enough.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I'm constantly amazed how Kevin and Gary turn out posts daily. I just don't have the time or the wherewithall to post that regularly. (Of course I tend to make up for it in sheer volume when I do post, but I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.)

    On the one hand, I've been surprised at how hard it is to blog on a regular basis. On the other, as I'm getting past the six month point on mine, I'm pleasantly surprised to look back at what I've managed to accumulate in just that time.

    I agree about Kevin's query though. While you should always be thinking about your audience, the appeal of a blog is the consistent personal perspective. (as in consistency of voice, not of opinion... ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 PM  

  • My furry purple cowboy hat is off to all y'all who do this blogging stuff, it makes this area immeasurably richer and more interesting. And you even do it under your own names...also a thing of bravery.

    Absolutely keep on your individual road, that's what makes this whole endeavor worthwhile--for reader and writer.

    Unfortunately for me, "staying on that roead" means coming up with several new fart jokes per week, but hey, we've all got our challenges.

    Keep up the great work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home