Dependable Erection

Sunday, September 16, 2007

An interesting tidbit from the mayoral race

I had an opportunity to chat with Mayor Bill Bell this evening, and naturally, i brought up the subject of the Thomas Stith robo-calls.

Turns out that the Bell household got a call. The one where Stith says he knows what it's like to be singled out by the cops because of the color of his skin.

Awesome.

UPDATE: Probably should have mentioned that this was a Bell campaign event. And several attendees told me they have saved the call on their answering machine. I'm working on getting a copy and/or transcription.

UPDATE II: Council member Mike Woodard reports (in the comments at Kevin's place) that he also received a robo-call from Thomas Stith.

Curioser and curioser. Also, i have not yet encountered anyone who lives east of Roxboro St. (as i do) who reports receiving this call. Anybody reading this who both lives east of Roxboro and received one of these calls, please leave a comment or drop me a line at DependableErection AT gmail DOT com.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • If you can make an mp3 of the message to upload it would be cool. I was pretty disgusted when I read your first post about it. But that's pretty much the way things are going all over the country--you get an economic downturn and politicians find it pays to scapegoat someone. I think we need to pile some sham on Stith for bowing to bigotry in and attempt to get himself elected.

    By Blogger Lisa B., at 10:40 AM  

  • Philip's got one up on his site. I've got a transcript at the top of the page. Still looking for the "second", or "black," version, which at least three people i talked with yesterday confirmed that they had received.

    By Blogger Barry, at 10:46 AM  

  • I live in southern Durham just east of Roxboro Rd., and I received Stith's fear-mongering robo-call last Thursday. I got the "white" call.

    I hope most Durham voters can see past Stith's Karl Rovian tactics.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • Thank you. I wish i had one of those big "war room" maps of durham and i could put a pin head for every confirmed robo-call. right now, it seems like Old West Durham and Watts-Hillandale were more heavily targeted than other neighborhoods, but that might just be a reflection of the people i've been drinking with lately.

    By Blogger Barry, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home